What is involved in personal care worker jobs?
People who work in home and community care jobs provide support to the aged, as well people of all ages who live with disabilities or illness. Assistance provided is dependent on the needs and abilities of the client.
Some of the duties include:
- Assisting the client with personal grooming and hygiene
- Domestic duties such as meal preparation, cleaning, laundry and shopping
- Providing companionship which may include travel
- Helping a client pursue hobbies or skills that will help them become more independent
- Providing overnight care as required
- Transportation of clients to social gatherings or appointments
- Coming up with programs to help the clients socialise and stimulate their intellectual and emotional skills
- Administer medicine or help clients self-administer medicine where appropriate
- Provide end of life support and care
- Liaise with other healthcare professionals, colleagues, and family
- Update and maintain client records.